Wednesday, July 20, 2011

From Drab to Fab {End Tables}

I have finally finally finished these end tables that I started who knows how long ago.   

Actually it was exactly 4 months, I started sanding on March 19 and finished July 19.  

Here are the ever important before pictures.


 Not too bad when you step back, but on closer inspection...
 There was a lot of damage like this.  Nothing a good sanding and painting wouldn't fix though.

I loved the look of them, the detail on the doors, and all the storage these babies would provide.   Hidden storage, perfect to store Grayson's toys, my paint supplies, whatever.  I love it, extra storage space always makes me giddy!


Now I wasn't working on them the whole time, obviously.  First I sanded them one of them down and then they sat there for. ev. er.

Finally, we {well, mostly Josh} got sick of them sitting around in the way, so I really started to get down to business.  Now these end tables aren't wood sadly, they're laminate.  But I got them for only $30 at a thrift store so the price was right!  And like I said before, I LOVED the look and storage space they had.  I sanded the other down, primed, and painted.  I followed the steps from this blog about painting laminate furniture and it worked great.

 Priming

 Painting
I was really worried with the first and second layers, it looked so neon!  But it got better after the 3rd coat. :)

Then I spray painted all the hardware with my favorite Krylon ORB {oil rubbed bronze}. I finished by sanding lots more to distress them, used some Minwax Finishing Paste for a protective coat, and here they are now.


I just love how they turned out.

I was nervous about sanding them, but I love how it makes all the details pop.

 


Side note, I decorated these with thrift stores/garage sale finds.  I love my vintage globe.  I know it's old because look.
It has the USSR instead of Russia, haha.

And my most favoritest picture-


They are brightening up my living room and I've already utilized some of that storage, woo-hoo!



Linking here and also these places-
The Shabby Chic Cottage
The Shabby NestTodays Creative Blog

32 comments:

Rick and Kori said...

I'm so impressed Jenna! They look amazing! I really want to get into furniture refinishing but I'm so intimidated. I love your before and after pictures!

Ali Richardson said...

SO great! That color is so fresh and fun. Gotta love storage! Great job :)

Noellen said...

Wow! I have almost that exact same table and never thought to paint it! It looks so modern now, great job!

Grace said...

I love them!!! Good job Jenna!

Katie said...

These are so awesome!! I love the style and the color!! I bet they really freshen up your living room!

Mandy England said...

I LOVE the color you chose! So bold, but they turned out amazingly!

Katie said...

Jenna! I'm doing my first 'Five Feature Friday' tomorrow!! I'm featuring your tables! Love them! Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button! The post will be up tomorrow morning!!

www.craptastickatie.blogspot.com

Jenn said...

My mom had an end table that looked exactly like the before picture. I wonder if she still has it . . . . I would love to re-do it just like yours! LOVE it!

Bart and Em said...

Wow, they ARE fabulous! I love them! SO cute Jenna!

Bemily said...

WOW!! They are so great!! Love the color! You did a fantastic job with them!

Mel Creates Often said...

Good job on your end tables! I did a table in yellow a while back, and it has a similar globe on it, too. We must have similar tastes. I saw you at Truly Lovely's blog hop, and am your newest follower. Have a good one!

http://www.meldreamsoften.com

Marcus said...

We had some of these growing up- my mom was a piano teacher and kept all her music in there. I was just thinking the other day that I wish I still had those for MY music! You did a fabulous job on the redo- love the color!

Valerie- www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com

Jana said...

My Grandma had these end tables in her home when we were little. I wish I could get my hands on them now b/c this is just gorgeous!!

Lani said...

Wow now I feel bad for getting rid of mine. Darn! I'm learning that there's almost nothing a little paint can't cure.
lani5287.blogspot.com

Kari said...

I found you via Sassy Sites and love how this turned out! I have this exact end table that my hubs brought to the marriage from his bachelor pad but still sadly, it looks like your before pic. Now I am inspired!!!

SV said...

Love how these turned out. You've inspired me to not be scared of using bright colors. Stopping by from a bowl full of lemons.

said...

Hi there! Stopping by from P&P! The yellow jumped out at me from your picture and I had to come take a look! Your little tables are FABULOUS! I love the color and all the details of the pieces! YUM!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that color is awesome! those are some fun tables!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Wow! What a difference! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

SkinnyMeg said...

Love the color!! I have one similar to this and I just stuff it with random toys laying around too :)

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

I LOVE these tables in their fun new color!! My dad had one just like this (the "before") and threw it out not long ago....it's too bad because you just showed what amazing potential that thing had! Great job!

The Daytons said...

I love these Jenna and the color, way to go for not being scared of a little color! P.S. I love that doorway bench, where did you find that and what color is it painted?

Patrice said...

Love, love the color!

Monica and Whitney said...

Oh my gosh, those are gorgeous! I absolutely love them. I need some end tables just like that.

Monica @ Ask the Duplex

Elizabeth said...

GREAT JOB!!! These look awesome Jenna! Thanks so much for linking up to Made With Love! I'm featuring you on my FB page today! http://www.facebook.com/SewChatty

Amber said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!!! Nice work!

Yes! Yolanda said...

I have to commend you for these! I'm so nervous to make the leap into colors! Aghh!! I'm pretty neautrel(creams, greens & reds) but after scrolling through your blog..I think I'll FINALLY take the leap! Scary! haha! I'm your newest follower from the "Made with Love" hop. Stop by my blog if you get a chance. Its still new but I've got a great start.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

What a fun pop of color. I have a similar end table that has been waiting for a makeover in my garage. Thanks for the inspiration!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

BeColorful again. :) I told you I love painted furniture and these bright colors take my breath away. Love it.
Pam

ChainedAngel said...

Oh. My. Gawd! My mom used to have a set similar to this one. And the coffee table to match. I wonder if she still has it. So much storage... And I'm thinking chalkboard paint on top... hmmm... Must call mom.

Jen said...

They look super fun & stylish! Great job, girl :)

Jen

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I have those exact same end tables, I painted them white, but I've been planning to paint them yellow--this is a great reminder!