Sunday, July 31, 2011

4 Days, 3 Makeovers

I don't know if I ever mentioned it on here, but one of my sisters just moved in with us temporarily.  My almost 20 yr. old sister Angelyn is now living with us and I'm so excited!  She is going to be so great to have around.  Josh will be super busy starting his 3rd year of med school {TOMORROW, ack!} and I'm glad to have the extra company.  PLUS, she absolutely adores Grayson and will be our own personal, live-in baby-sitter.  Woot woot!

So in preparation for her coming, I wanted to paint some things for her room.  I got this headboard at a yard sale for $10 and the end table was given to us by my wonderful in-laws 3 yrs. ago when Josh and I got married. {so free, yay!}  Also, I wanted to paint a coffee table turned bench seat that has been at the end of our bed for the last year.  I got it at a thrift store for $25 I think?  The bench seat also lifts up for some awesome storage space, you know I love that!

Here are the before shots.
bench
 In great shape, solid wood, but too dark and gloomy for me!  Our bedroom is pretty dark as it is, so I wanted it a light color to help brighten up the space.

end table
 same story, too dark and boring.  But in great shape and look at the beautiful, curvy legs!

headboard

I didn't like the shade of green and wanted it be a more neutral color and match the end table

I knew I didn't have a week or two {or, let's be honest, 3 or 4 at my pace} to slowly work on these and let all the primer and paint cure properly.  We had just got back from California and my sister, and Mom and other sister who drove up with her, were coming soon.  So I finally gave in a ordered some chalk paint.  It was every bit as wonderful as I'd heard!  The paint dries SO fast and you really don't need to sand or prime, amazing!!!  I got 2 colors, old white and paris gray.  I figured some basic neutrals would be a good first choice.  That way I could use them on future pieces too. 


As the title implies, I was able to do these 3 pieces in 4 days total!  That includes the protective coat of wax I did after painting and distressing.

Now for the afters!

 I did the top white and the rest gray.  Sorry for the poor lighting.  This thing is awkward to move around, so I didn't want to move it just for a picture.


And here is the bench




{already stuffed with goodies- seasonal decor and scrap wood}


And my favorite transformation to date, my "new" cute little french end table!
 oh man oh man, I'm in love
so pretty

I wish it got to be in my room instead of my sister's room, kidding kidding! 
mostly


I LURVE it!



Now for  the dramatic, side-by-side, before and afters!





Pretty good for 4 days, huh?


Linking here
and here-
Todays Creative BlogDesigner Garden


34 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

WOW! You have been busy! I love all 3, great job!!

Anonymous said...

Great job with the transformations! And how nice to have your sis there! I have had friends live with me before and it's always a blast.

Kari said...

I love how it turned out! I am so afraid of painting furniture but am gonna give it a try this fall, so we will see.....:)

Allison@FabRehab said...

Did you hear me just squeal?! I LOVE the stripes on that table!! So fresh and updated! The other 2 makeovers are fabulous too! You are quick!!

Rachel said...

Cute! I love the end table. I'm trying to convince my husband to let me paint some of our furniture when we move, I'll use your pieces to convince him. :)

Jana said...

I completely love this...how cute! Be sure to come back to link up as my party was messed up. I want you to be able to add a picture!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

You've been busy! I like the striped table...very unique!

Unknown said...

I've got to try some of this paint. I think I was hooked when you said "no priming". Thanks. Stop by and visit and become a follower if you like what you see. I'm one of your new followers. xoxo

Katie said...

Wow!! You have really been busy! I love furniture redos and yours look great!

I would love for you to share at Blog Stalking Thursday Linky Party
http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Ooh la la. Tres Jolie! :0 Love those stripes. I am a sucker for painted furniture and yours is especially fun.
Pam @ BeColorful

Burke & Chelle said...

I LOVE your end table! Found ya through funky polkadot giraffe. I"d love for you to come see my projects at burkeandrachellekunz.blogspot.com!

Cassie Bustamante said...

they are all so great, but i especially love the lil striped-y guy! soooo cute!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice trio of makeovers. Good job.

Suki Lotti said...

LOVE the stripes on the end table!!! Came over from Sugar Bee Crafts linky party.

Our Hopeful Home said...

Great transformations! I especially love the end table. I just ordered the paint, too, and can't wait! This would be perfect hooked up over at my Club G.W. (Goodwill) Party going on right now! Hope to see you there!

xoxo
Kathleen

Lauryn Ashli said...

i love that storage bench!
and i am such a sucker for stripes!
thanks for sharing, i have no patience with refurnishing and love to see what other people come up with!

{love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

They're all so pretty! The room must really pop now! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

SkinnyMeg said...

gorgeous! I love my chalk paint too, so easy to use!!

Barbara Pilcher said...

I want that French end table! I'll have to make my own, though. Sigh. Hope I do as well.

Sisters are the best. Have fun.

I'm visiting from Handy Man Crafty Woman.

René said...

OK that does it - I really need to try this paint. Your projects are all darling. I really like the stripes.

Pretty Unique Furniture said...

All in a days work eh!? Love the stripes, nicely done
Tina

Patrice said...

I do love that end table! Such a great color combo. Great idea! Thanks for linking up with Lemon Tree Creations today!

Marlee said...

This turned out awesome, I love it! Great blog, am a new follower!

http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

I love that striped end table! So cute!! You did a lot in four days!! Great job!

Rachel said...

That is a great storage bench, I definitely need something like that for my room! And your adorable end table is fantastic, I love the light blue/grey color you used for the stripes!

-rachel w k
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This end table makes me wish I had a place for end tables in my living room.

Sommer said...

Oh for the love of all things crafty, am I the only one who hasn't gotten on the chalk paint train? I should be ashamed shouldn't I? These are GORGEOUS!! I'm so envious. Gah! I hope you will show this off at my VIP party today! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/vip-party-22.html

Jenn said...

Great job! And that end table is absolutely gorgeous. i just received my paint the other day {same thought as you to get the Paris Gray and White!} and I can't wait to get started. Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark - I'll be featuring your table in my Sunday Sparks.
Jenn :)

Maria Matter said...

gosh, I need more energy!

These are FABULOUS!!! love those stripes!

The Ellis' said...

You go girl! :) They all look so good! We would love for you to share this at our link party and come enter our free digital scrapbooking software giveaway!

Love,
The Sisters @ Six Sister's Stuff

http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/search/label/Strut%20Your%20Stuff%20Saturday

http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-memories-digital-scrapbooking.html

the vintage lemon said...

I LOVE THEM! you totally inspired me to redo our night stands! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Dang girl! You're really rocking these makeovers!!! Love that end table with the stripes! :) Thanks for linking to Fancy This Fridays this last week!!!

Unknown said...

Great makeovers! I especially love the striped end table. I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and checked out the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Trio!

Unknown said...

Following you from thrifty decor chick-stop by for a visit!!